When I was in my mid-20's, I had some kind of 'attack' (for lack of a better word), that happened to me one night as I was driving to work. I almost lost consciousness, but managed to hold on until I got to my workplace. I thought it was a one time thing but when I was standing at my station, someone told me I went white and I felt like I was going to pass out again.
This pattern continued and I wound up in the hospital on Christmas Eve for 2 days. After 2 days of being poked and prodded, no one could find anything wrong with me, other than exhaustion. I was working 2 jobs.
Eventually I got some rest but my symptoms didn't subside. I was getting massive headaches, and was constantly in a fog.
Long story short, I found the cause and eliminated it from my diet. What was causing this? Aspartame and Sucralose. I was drinking diet soda all the time. Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper were my favorites. You would think that by only drinking diet soda and tea that I would lose weight....nope.
So when I finally quit drinking the soda altogether you would think I would drop weight right? Nope. But I did start to feel better, although it took months to get all that garbage out of my system.
Now I have to really read a lot of labels but it is so much worth it when you understand what the sweeteners do to your body.
I didn't get rid of my saccharin though, and that is my last hurdle. While saccharin isn't good for you, it is better than aspartame or sucralose. Eventually, I will be eliminating all of them and trying to get into more natural sweeteners like Stevia.
The only problem is that nothing tastes like real sugar. So I am having the hardest time trying to kill that sweet craving with Stevia.
Hopefully, I will find something soon.
My take on sweeteners - Aspartame (Equal), Sucralose (Splenda), and Saccharin (Sweet n'Low)
Posted by
Heartland Country Girl
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
0 comments